Thursday 27 October 2016

Workshop - Project management (stress management)

Today we had a session with Penny all about stress management, how people feel about themselves, their confidence, anxiety and I found it really interesting how so many people can related to each other, we are all in the same boat but rarely talk about how we are actually feeling in case others don't agree.

Being stressed is feeling out of control of what is going on in your life - a big way to avoid stress is being organised, planning your time and not wasting time or putting things off when you know you have deadlines to meet.

We did an activity where by we each answered four questions and lay our answers on the table - next to similar ones. The questions were as follows:


  1. What stresses you out?
  2. What scares you?
  3. How do you destress?
  4. A negative thought you've had today?
My own answers were: 
  1. How much work I have to do before the weekend
  2. Presenting my work in crits
  3. Neflix, sleep, eat
  4. I look like shit
Here are some pictures I took of other peoples responses:


What stresses you out?

Having work pile up
9.30 starts
My procrastination catching up with me

How do you destress?

Sleep or netflix
Have a bath (wish I could do this but there's no bath tubs in halls!)
Talking to a friend




What negative thought have you had today?

I look horrible today
I skipped breakfast
I look too tired today



What scares you?

Not being good enough
Not being successful as a designer
Presenting own ideas in front of groups

From everyones' responses we choice 3 of our favourites from each question and then whittled that down even further to our overall 3 favourites. From this we created a Haku and gave it a title.

Lack of sleep

I feel too tired
I look too tired
to be productive today


This was what we all achieved, a number of Haku's on the subject of stress looking rather poetic we did abit of creative writing without even trying. I can see these being made into little postcards or quotes in a self help book for students, workers and even stay at home parents, anyone that lives a busy life.

They could be used to get the message out there that they aren't alone - perhaps printed on billboards or on the back of bus tickets advertising a self help book on stress. Or another idea specifically for students a pack you get when moving into halls, posters with thoughts on of previous first years so you feel able to talk to others about it you aren't alone. A pack containing useful information like bus routes, cheap shops and bars etc.


Reading list:

  • The Stress Report - theDo lectures
  • Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear - Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Upworthy - School Meditation rather than detention
  • Deep Work - Cal Newport 
"feel the fear and do it anyway"

No comments:

Post a Comment